"Do not show this console at logon" !
EverytimeI log into Windows Server 2008, Server Manager appears. I select "Do not show me this console at logon" but it appears the next timeI log into Windows! How can I disable the automaticdisplay once and for all?TIA,Barkingdog
December 24th, 2008 2:41am

Hi TIA, There are 2 methods for us to make sure Server Manager doesn't show up at startup. Method1. Enable the Group Policy setting You may enable the following Group Policy computer configuration setting. Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Server Manager "Do not display Server Manager automatically at logon" Method2. Modify the registry key 1. Open Registry editor by running regedit. 2. Expand to the following location, set the value to 1 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ServerManager Type: REG_DWORD Name: DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon dword:00000001 Hope it helps. David Shen - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 24th, 2008 7:38am

I triee both of these methods and, after reboot, Server Manager still comes up! This must be a bug in Windows Server 2008.Barkingdog
December 27th, 2008 1:55am

If it was a bug, everybody would see it and it would have been fixed long ago. There must be something wrong with your group policies.Bill
December 27th, 2008 4:55am

Bill makes an interesting point.I have thisproblem on my home install of Windows Server 2008 (no domain there) as well as the domain at work (setup by different people). If something is wrong with my "group policies"how could one trace the issue? (I didn't, knowling, use Group policies at all on my home system).Barkingdog.
December 27th, 2008 9:21am

Hi TIA, You may try controlling the Server Manager behavior by configuring local group policy on a Windows Server 2008 in the workgroup mode. Steps: 1. Click Start -> Run 2. Input Gpedit.msc to launch the Local Group Policy Editor 3. Expand and find the following node Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Server Manager 4. In the right pane, double-click on the option "Do not display Server Manager automatically at logon" 5. Select Enabled. 6. Click ok and close the local group policy editor console. Please note: as this is a computer configuration, you may need to restart the server to make it take into effect. Please see if the server manager will prompts in this way, hope it helps. David Shen - MSFT
December 29th, 2008 6:18am

David,I think it (GPO approach) now works. I may not have rebooted the server.Thanks,Barkingdog
December 31st, 2008 8:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics